One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- North American term for blackfly (sense 2 of the noun)
- ‘The latter two groups of aquatic flies are considered pests, particularly buffalo gnats that are well known for their painful bites and human blood feeding habits.’
- ‘Because of the hump visible behind their head when viewed in profile, black flies are also called buffalo gnats.’
- ‘Black flies, also referred to as gnats or buffalo gnats, can be a serious problem because of their ability to bite.’
- ‘The small adult black fly is also known as a buffalo gnat, and the female can deliver a painful bite.’
- ‘River blindness is a eye condition spread by blackfly or the buffalo gnat that live and breed on fast flowing rivers in Central Africa, Yemen, northern South America, southern Mexico and Guatemala.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.