Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for blackfly
- ‘River blindness is a eye condition spread by blackfly or the buffalo gnat that live and breed on fast flowing rivers in Central Africa, Yemen, northern South America, southern Mexico and Guatemala.’
- ‘The small adult black fly is also known as a buffalo gnat, and the female can deliver a painful bite.’
- ‘The latter two groups of aquatic flies are considered pests, particularly buffalo gnats that are well known for their painful bites and human blood feeding habits.’
- ‘Because of the hump visible behind their head when viewed in profile, black flies are also called buffalo gnats.’
- ‘Black flies, also referred to as gnats or buffalo gnats, can be a serious problem because of their ability to bite.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.