One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for blackfly (sense 2 of the noun)
- ‘The latter two groups of aquatic flies are considered pests, particularly buffalo gnats that are well known for their painful bites and human blood feeding habits.’
- ‘Because of the hump visible behind their head when viewed in profile, black flies are also called buffalo gnats.’
- ‘River blindness is a eye condition spread by blackfly or the buffalo gnat that live and breed on fast flowing rivers in Central Africa, Yemen, northern South America, southern Mexico and Guatemala.’
- ‘The small adult black fly is also known as a buffalo gnat, and the female can deliver a painful bite.’
- ‘Black flies, also referred to as gnats or buffalo gnats, can be a serious problem because of their ability to bite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.