Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘I have gravestones for my two budgies in my front garden.’
- ‘Writing in the journal, Science, the researchers described how they applied sunscreen to the yellow crown feathers of male and female budgies to reduce their UV absorption.’
- ‘The Three Owls bird sanctuary in Norden has been inundated with calls from people who have spotted cockatiels, budgies and parrots that have been released into the wild.’
- ‘William Brown said: ‘We would, of course, like to reunite the budgie with his owners.’’
- ‘The really are the sweetest birds in existence - flightless, defenseless, harmless, big, green budgies.’
- ‘Various animals - including, of course, budgies and parrots - appeared regularly in the storylines.’
- ‘She has already taken in budgies, dogs and parakeets and in the past she has looked after ducks.’
- ‘And as an added bonus, our budgie Pixie really likes the music.’
- ‘A seminar at Edinburgh University's veterinary center focuses on educating people on the correct way of interacting with highly-strung avians from macaws to budgies.’
- ‘There are also goats, sheep, calves, budgies, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, ducks, owls.’
- ‘Mr. Ramsden sells a range of poultry birds including ducks and geese, as well as a selection of ‘fancy birds’ such as canaries and budgies, but he has a policy of not accepting any birds imported within the last 12 months.’
- ‘The area also boasts a new aviary with a variety of colourful ‘chirpers’ including budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds and quails.’
- ‘The luxury development, which can house up to 250 pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, parrots and budgies, is expected to create 200 jobs.’
- ‘She was devastated when her parrot Charlie, cockatiel Molly and two budgies, Billy and Gregory, all died within hours of each other.’
- ‘Gary said: ‘I have always loved wildlife and kept budgies and Mynah birds as a small boy.’’
- ‘Health officers responding to complaints from an enraged neighbour first ordered him to get rid of some of the budgies and then swooped on his aviary, confiscating dozens of birds.’
- ‘Parrots could even tell the difference between film of macaws and budgies.’
- ‘Zippos Circus, which has horses, budgies and a sheepdog among its performers, opened at the Westcott Recreation Ground yesterday.’
- ‘Also rescued were their pet birds a cockatiel, two parrots and three budgies.’
- ‘I share an apartment with my parents, two cats, and two budgies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.