Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A widespread Asian religion or philosophy, founded by Siddartha Gautama in NE India in the 5th century BC.
- ‘The Qianlong Emperor surpassed his predecessors as a patron of Buddhism and Buddhist art.’
- ‘Falun Gong is a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism and meditation and breathing exercises.’
- ‘For about a millennium after the death of the Buddha, Buddhism flourished in India.’
- ‘The practice of Dharma refers to following Buddhism's Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.’
- ‘The goal of Buddhism is nirvana, a transcendence of the confines of mind and body.’
- ‘Place this religious psychology alongside Buddhism, with its fleeing of the world.’
- ‘He sees this balance most clearly in the Eastern religions, particularly Buddhism and Hinduism.’
- ‘So we were very eager to practice Buddhism in such a way that we could bring it into society.’
- ‘She wrote about her adventures and what she learned about Buddhism and the mysteries of Tibet.’
- ‘Ergo, Buddhism would have a western flavour in the west while keeping to the teachings of the Buddha.’
- ‘Much of Kendo's philosophy is drawn from Zen and from Buddhism and from Shintoism.’
- ‘This seems to be the point of convergence between Christianity and Buddhism.’
- ‘The study of Buddhism over the past century or so has resembled the encounter of the blind men and the elephant in many ways.’
- ‘Although Buddhism originated in India it now flourishes predominantly in other parts of Asia.’
- ‘Depending on the sect of Buddhism, the word bodhisattva has essentially two meanings.’
- ‘This all changed when Hsiao gained a spiritual interest in Buddhism a decade ago.’
- ‘Zen is the common name for this branch of Buddhism in Japanese as well as in English.’
- ‘My own interest has been in the actual practice of Buddhism in Buddhist lands today.’
- ‘Since its beginnings, the Hindu religion in Bali has been closely related to Buddhism.’
- ‘This awakening is the crucial watershed in the Buddha's life and the key reference point for Buddhism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.