One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Coarse linen or other cloth stiffened with gum or paste, and used as interfacing and in bookbinding.‘our sewn bindings incorporate buckram and leather’as modifier ‘a curtain with buckram headings’
- ‘New for 2003 is style 556, the Fahrenheit structured mid-profile brushed cotton 6-panel cap with soft buckram and a fabric back strap and brass buckle.’
- ‘They just don't make buckram like they used to.’
- ‘Stamps are slammed on the title page, label pockets gummed to the rear pastedown, dust wrappers discarded, covers vulcanised in plastic - or, in those days, a toffee-brown buckram tough enough to withstand acid.’
- ‘The device itself was simple enough, consisting of a buckram rim about eighteen inches in diameter, wrapped with 3,411 feet of cotton-covered copper wire, all in turn covered with tape, felt, and an imitation leather sleeve.’
- ‘The Moroccan-leather-bound edition, limited to 50 numbered copies, is encased in a silver buckram drop-back solander box (£750 inclusive of delivery).’
men in buckram
archaic Non-existent people.
- ‘When Hal and Poins play the robbery joke on Falstaff and lead him to falsely admit that instead of behaving in a cowardly fashion when robbed, he fought off eleven men in buckram suits in vain.’
- ‘These three swelled, like the men in buckram, and were soon a dozen.’
- ‘The men in buckram multiplied and remultiplied themselves as he spoke; his face was ashen white and he could scarcely control himself.’
- ‘A severe-looking person, who wears a Spanish cloak alluded, with a certain lifting of the brow, drawing down of the corners of the mouth, and somewhat rasping voce di petto, to Falstaff's nine men in buckram.’
- ‘Further, in the older play there is a revel in ‘the old tavern at Eastcheap’ and it is at the Boar's Head, Eastcheap, that Falstaff tells his tale of the men in buckram.’
Middle English (denoting a kind of fine linen or cotton cloth): from Old French boquerant, perhaps from Bukhara in central Asia.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.