One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAustralian, NZ
A rodeo event in which a rider attempts to stay in the saddle of a bucking horse for a period of eight seconds.as modifier ‘a buckjumping event’
- ‘The royal visitors were provided with `a varied programme of kangaroo and emu hunting, buckjumping, with exhibitions of shearing etc.’
- ‘In 1944 Lance junior, though injured, won the Australian buckjumping and bulldogging titles.’
- ‘The Warwick Rodeo can trace its roots back to 1857 where records indicate the first professional buckjumping contest.’
- ‘The travelling buckjumping shows, able to attract large crowds when riders with the grace and showmanship of Lance Skuthorpe were involved, were at their height after 1900.’
- ‘Once the war began, uniformed Americans participated in an inter-service contest for buckjumping and bareback riding at Wirth's Circus, Melbourne, in early 1943.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.