Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An unauthorized office for speculating in stocks or currency using the funds of unwitting investors.
- ‘In the real world, I think that kind of unauthorized trading would meet the legal definition of a bucket shop.’
- ‘The Iowa Electronic Market, which runs a kind of a legal bucket shop in political candidacies, has restructured its presidential futures market.’
- ‘What worked at the bucket shops didn't play on Wall Street. Within six months of the start of his legitimate trading career Livermore was wiped out.’
- ‘With stock market speculation on its way to becoming a home-based sport (which, as the bucket shops were said to do, principally attracts those who are ‘looking for entertainment and excitement’ - and a killing!)’
- ‘The U.S. has laws restricting bucket shop practices by limiting the ability of brokerage houses to create and trade certain types of over-the-counter securities.’
2British A travel agency that specializes in providing cheap air tickets.
- ‘And yesterday online bucket shop Lastminute.com announced it would be profitable within 12 months.’
- ‘When the holiday to Tunisia fell through, because the bucket shop went bust, Maggie knew that it was probably a good thing; some terrible experience had waited for her there, where she would have got mobbed, literally mobbed.’
- ‘‘I think the time is up for the smaller bucket shop travel agencies,’ says Ross.’
- ‘If you're looking for the cheapest deal on international flights, then buying your tickets from a bucket shop can save you big.’
- ‘If you plan your next trip or vacation ahead, you can find some of the best deals with consolidators or "bucket shops".’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.