One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for bogbean
- ‘In ponds, Sitka sedge often forms dense stands; other common species are bluejoint, buckbean, marsh five-finger, and marsh horsetail.’
- ‘The rare silvery glade, the Virginia chain and 23 other ferns can be found here, as can rose pogonias, twig-rushes, buckbeans and pitcher plants.’
- ‘Evelyn reported buckbeans in bloom and she thinks she saw some purple bladderwort as well.’
- ‘When in bloom, buckbean is unlikely to be confused with other Northwest aquatic plants.’
- ‘The herb layer is most often dominated by buckbean and occasionally by prairie sedge. Water sedge, shore sedge and slender sedge are almost always present as secondary species.’
Late 16th century: from Flemish bocks boonen ‘goat's beans’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.