One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for bogbean
- ‘The rare silvery glade, the Virginia chain and 23 other ferns can be found here, as can rose pogonias, twig-rushes, buckbeans and pitcher plants.’
- ‘Evelyn reported buckbeans in bloom and she thinks she saw some purple bladderwort as well.’
- ‘The herb layer is most often dominated by buckbean and occasionally by prairie sedge. Water sedge, shore sedge and slender sedge are almost always present as secondary species.’
- ‘In ponds, Sitka sedge often forms dense stands; other common species are bluejoint, buckbean, marsh five-finger, and marsh horsetail.’
- ‘When in bloom, buckbean is unlikely to be confused with other Northwest aquatic plants.’
Late 16th century: from Flemish bocks boonen ‘goat's beans’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.