Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of melted cheese on toast with a poached egg on top.
- ‘The food lives up to the tableware: along with cereals, juices and fruit, there's homemade whisky and mandarin jam, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, buck rarebit (like Welsh but with poached eggs on top) and a ramekin dish baked in the oven.’
- ‘Freshly baked homemade breads and muffins abound as well as excellent vegetarian breakfasts like Marmite eggs Florentine and local Cheddar buck rarebit.’
- ‘Top it with a poached egg or two for a buck rarebit.’
- ‘The buck rarebit was excellent, my partner had the corn fritters with the chilli jam - to die for.’
- ‘I love it in there and Trace and I had a pot of tea, and I ate a scone, and she had a buck rarebit, and we discussed how grateful we were to be solvent.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.