One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transparent domed canopy on a fighter aircraft or bubble car.
- ‘The fuselage of the F2G was sleeker than the normal Corsair with a bubble canopy affording excellent visibility.’
- ‘The fuselage is tubular and cigar-shaped tapering to the rear with a rounded, glassed-in nose and bubble canopy.’
- ‘The airframe featured clipped wings, a small bubble canopy and a flashy hot rod style flame paint scheme.’
- ‘A search began to find missing parts and a bubble canopy from an earlier Spitfire was fitted to the fuselage.’
- ‘Sitting under the big bubble canopy, one finds the early morning sun quite blinding but the air was smooth and there was little traffic in the area.’
- ‘During this time, it was decided to remove the second bubble canopy but the forward cockpit was left in its trainer location.’
- ‘To bring the Corsair into a more modem configuration, a bubble canopy was added which gave sterling visibility.’
- ‘And sometimes the pilot's head is within an inch or two of that bubble canopy.’
- ‘Such things as bubble canopies (tested on two modified FG-ls) and turbosuperchargers were tried out.’
- ‘To give the radar operator some needed room, his position was fitted with a blown bubble canopy but, even so, it was a very tight fit and the radio operators would have to be chosen with a regard to their height or lack of it.’
- ‘The pair offered to let him fly Jay Dee, a D-model with a bubble canopy, which would supply the room he needed.’
- ‘The YP - 60E looked considerably different from the previous P - 60 aircraft since it dispensed with the builtup turtledeck behind the cockpit and added a bubble canopy atop the fuselage.’
- ‘The cockpit has a large bulletproof bubble canopy, which gives good all-round vision.’
- ‘The ‘Bell helicopter at Greybull in 1955’ is actually a Hiller 360, probably a UH - 12C variant with the bubble canopy.’
- ‘The pressurised and air-conditioned cockpit has a Martin Baker Mark 12 zero zero ejection seat and a single-piece bubble canopy.’
- ‘The wings of the mark XVI were clipped to make it more stable while diving, and a bubble canopy was added to aid visibility.’
- ‘In the cockpit the integrated rollcage is very much in evidence, forming part of the bubble canopy, the dashboard, and the floor pan just in front of the seat, and creating a blind spot that took a few kilometres to get used to.’
- ‘A closer look found one with a bubble canopy and, after checking paper work, he discovered it was a YP - 47M - 1, one of the prototypes.’
- ‘An alcohol spray helped keep the windscreen free of ice but the liquid played havoc with the plexiglass bubble canopy.’
- ‘Captain Reynolds, the young Instructor Pilot, told me to climb in the copilot's seat in tandem behind him, under the clear bubble canopy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.