One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cream used on men's hair to give it a smooth, shiny appearance.
oil, ointment, lotion, creamView synonyms
- ‘As I was making my way through the sea of sequins and Brylcreem, I got an eerie feeling that something bad was about to happen.’
- ‘He was horrified by the smoking, the alcohol consumed and the Brylcreem and the winkle-picker shoes they wore.’
- ‘He could cut a fair style when he got home from a fair, new suit and dancing shoes, white shirt and the hair well groomed with Brylcreem and cleaned up to the last like a new baby.’
- ‘There are also old issues of Reader's Digest which carried advertisements for cigarettes and Brylcreem.’
- ‘Do you remember Brylcreem that men used to use for their hair?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.