Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A vegetable consisting of the small compact bud of a variety of cabbage.
- ‘Vegetables to stock up on include broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach, kale and cauliflower.’
- ‘Other examples of the class are kale, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kohlrabi, and collard.’
- ‘In the meantime it may help to avoid gas-producing foods, including beans, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, radishes and onions.’
- ‘Food sources of folic acid include dried beans and peas, liver, avocado, asparagus, spinach, Brussels sprouts, oranges, romaine lettuce, and wheat germ.’
- ‘Brassica vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower are rich in indole - 3-carbinol, which may reduce the risk of prostate cancer.’
- ‘Next, fill your plate with cruciferous vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and kale.’
- ‘All our dishes came with tureens of roast potatoes, new potatoes, carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and green beans tossed with bacon bits.’
- ‘To serve, spoon some pearl onions and Brussels sprouts leaves in the center of a plate, set two pieces of yellowtail on top, and sprinkle with fleur de sel.’
- ‘Warren recommends eating plenty of cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, turnips and kale, which are high in antioxidants.’
- ‘Studies show cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts have anticancer properties, especially when minimally cooked.’
- ‘Zinc is also abundant in spinach, parsley, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, string beans and prunes.’
- ‘The vegetables include creamed cauliflower, mashed potato, roast potato, carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts and cabbage.’
- ‘Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable (other members of this family include broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage).’
- ‘Vegetables like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and turnips may reduce the risk of cancerous tumors.’
- ‘Eat plenty of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and watercress (preferably organic).’
- ‘You can also use vegetables like carrots, butternut squash, turnips, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, spring onions, and peeled garlic cloves.’
- ‘Examples of cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and turnip greens.’
- ‘Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, can help prevent cancer and ward off heart disease.’
- ‘I was tempted by the hot savoury pancakes, the zucchini cheese pastry, the foie gras with poppy folio and the stuffed Brussel sprouts, but am a sucker for asparagus and could not resist it in hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘To include indirect antioxidants in your diet, eat daily servings of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and citrus fruits and drink green tea.’
- 1.1 The plant which yields Brussels sprouts, bearing many along a tall single stem.
- ‘Cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts predominate, but he also grows potatoes and sugar snap peas.’
- ‘If you have late-season crops like Brussels sprouts or kale, just scatter seeds under the plants' leaves, and the cover crop will come along as the other crops are harvested.’
- ‘Pieris rapae was reared on Brussels sprouts plants (Brassica oleracea gemmifera cv. Icarus) in a climate room (21±1 °C, 5070% RH, L16:D8).’
- ‘No need to restrict yourself to cabbage and Brussels sprouts, fall & winter gardening can include a variety of lovely edibles.’
- ‘Starting with wild cabbage, breeders produced domestic cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, kale, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.’
- ‘Every fall I can count on them to raise havoc with whatever is growing after the first frost - lettuce, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage.’
- ‘The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.’
- ‘But chiefly he fulfills a statistician's dream with his minute record of Brussels sprouts, cabbages, and tulips planted, harvested, and planted again.’
- ‘This is especially true for cole crops such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and kale.’
- ‘U.S. farms had previously used it for food crops such as Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, peanuts and peppers.’
- ‘Plant out winter greens, such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, in the vegetable plot.’
- ‘The cabbage and Brussels sprouts we sowed last week are beginning to show now and I have removed the clingfilm to allow room for the seedlings to develop.’
- ‘Keep cabbages, Brussels sprouts and cauliflowers covered with horticultural fleece or a fine netting to prevent cabbage white butterflies from laying eggs.’
- ‘It's not difficult to grow say, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts and rhubarb.’
- ‘Brassicas - cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts - should be planted out, with protection from birds and white butterflies.’
- ‘Another acquaintance of mine didn't believe in chemical pesticides for gardening so he cut out squares from old carpet and placed one around each Brussels sprout plant to prevent creepy-crawlies climbing up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.