One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elaborate kind of lace, typically with a raised design, made using a needle or lace pillow.
openwork, lacework, tatting, netting, net, tulle, meshwork, mesh, webbingView synonyms
- ‘It is Brussels lace and dates to about 1900.’
- ‘The Brussels lace is lightly yellowed, slightly darkened with age or body oil.’
- ‘The exhibition was an opportunity to see the Honiton and Brussels lace recently donated to the Museum.’
- ‘Her veil is a matching pillbox of Brussels lace and a shoulder length veil of angel glow tulle.’
- ‘Outstanding white 12’ round mat having Chemical lace surround in the style of Brussels lace.’
- ‘It is called Renaissance or Brussels lace because it is mostly sold in Brussels.’
- ‘F. Rubbrecht and Manufacture Belge de Dentelle are popular establishments for authentic Brussels lace.’
- ‘Housed behind former facades dating back to the 17th century, the museum focuses on the world famous Brussels lace.’
- ‘A38.2 is a very beautiful (possibly wedding) fan with mother of pearl sticks and a Brussels lace leaf.’
- ‘Clara's Brussels lace veil was not sold by her lady's maid nor by the bride herself.’
- ‘Battenberg lace tape, Princess lace tape, Brussels lace tape, Venice lace tape, 100% cotton Tulle and wider lace tapes in linen and cotton.’
- ‘And then, of course, there is the most highly prized of tourist souvenirs: Brussels lace!’
- ‘The city has long been known for the production of fine lace, called Brussels lace, and for tapestry weaving.’
- ‘From this gorgeous canopy were hung draperies of rich India crimson and gold damask, trimmed with exquisite Brussels lace, and these draperies hung in graceful folds over the sides of the Royal Box.’
- ‘Body and sleeves to correspond, elegantly trimmed with point Brussels lace.’
- ‘Mrs. Ann Oldfield, buried in Westminster Abbey in 1730, was by her express request wrapped ‘in a very fine Brussels lace head-dress, a holland shift, with a tucker, and double ruffles of the same lace, and a pair of new kid gloves.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.