Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of fabric) having a soft raised nap.‘brushed cotton’
- ‘I push back the bedspread and the warm cocoon of brushed cotton sheets.’
- ‘I just hadn't expected to spot them at the breakfast table in brushed polyester with mother-of-pearl buttons.’
- ‘Her other creations include a range of nightwear for kids using brushed cotton, and formal wear for women.’
- ‘Union made in the USA, this cap is made of heavyweight brushed cotton/polyester bull twill.’
- ‘At just £2,140 for a black and grey brushed wool number, who could resist?’
2(of metal) finished with a non-reflective surface.‘brushed aluminium’
- ‘One eye shone a shimmering amber with a thin slit of a pupil scanning the scene below while the other was an unmoving brushed gold orb.’
- ‘Moving down from the dashboard the gear-lever has a brushed alloy cover which, at first glance, makes this six-speed manual look like an automatic.’
- ‘Choose from brushed or lacquered copper, natural painted aluminum, and white.’
- ‘Cut your choice of molding to fit around the mirror and paint it, using neutral colors or a brushed gold or silver.’
- ‘Nielsen Bainbridge offers a wide variety of silvers, from a raw aluminum look to a steel gray to brushed tones in its German silver.’
- ‘This picture also gives you a close-up look at the brushed aluminium finish of the case.’
- ‘Despite the small dimensions, there's a complete set of PC components hiding inside that brushed silver and black chassis.’
- ‘Public stairways throughout are stainless steel with brushed aluminum accents.’
- ‘Stainless steel is the most common material; durable and easy to live with, in brushed or polished finishes.’
- ‘The aluminum bands and rivets that comprise the work can only speak of the brushed surface or the inexorable flatness of the metal.’
- ‘When all of this was accomplished, the entire levergun was finished in brushed nickel and a composite stock was added.’
- ‘The curved bezel and shiny brushed finish just floored me.’
- ‘I am fortunate in my case, since the brushed aluminum finish by MountainMods has no paint.’
- ‘It cost about £40 in my house to replace every switch with a snazzy brushed chrome effect affair.’
- ‘It was the sun reflecting off the brushed stainless steel surface of the familiar DeLorean.’
- ‘The brushed silver appearance is also nice, though no other colours are available if silver isn't for you.’
- ‘The nylon band loops through fixed rings on the brushed stainless-steel housing rather than attaching to fragile pins.’
- ‘In back, a counter tiled in red glass fronts an open kitchen of brushed steel.’
- ‘The menu comes on an A5 sheet of high-quality paper, with its corners slipped into slits on a thick sheet of brushed copper.’
- ‘The drive itself has a brushed silver/chrome look to it, and is shaped to fit your hand somewhat.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.