One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitch aimed close to the body so that the batter must step back to avoid it.
- ‘One of Adcock's more memorable eruptions after a brushback pitch was to chase a terrified pitcher Ruben Gomez of the San Francisco Giants off the field.’
- ‘The Yanks reacted with brushbacks or unhittable slop.’
- ‘The armor has removed much of the fear factor that made the brushback pitch an effective weapon.’
- ‘In baseball, players used to legislate brushback pitches and there was a code of conduct.’
- ‘I think the players should be allowed to take care of the brushback pitch instead of the umpires.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.