One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad electrical discharge from a conductor occurring when the potential difference is high but not sufficient for a spark or arc.
- ‘A faint brush discharge from the filament to the glass envelope was also present.’
- ‘In either case, the possibility of causing propagating brush discharges should be considered.’
- ‘If a stronger current is turned on, 500 or 600 milliamperes, considerable brush discharge passes to the patient through the indurated fiber.’
- ‘In the dark, brush discharges can be seen flowing from the positive areas of the disks, and entirely covering the disk area between the negative charge collectors and the adjacent neutralizer combs.’
- ‘But more seriously, the brush discharge theory fails to account for the puzzling fact that a great many auroral observers fail to hear the sounds while others in the vicinity may hear them clearly.’
- ‘This provision prevents the risk of energetic propagating brush discharges, which can ignite dust-air mixture.’
- ‘Propagating brush discharge having energies less then 30 millijoules have ignited dust deposits on insulating surfaces backed up by grounded conductive material.’
- ‘In the case of a Franklin rod, this ascending brush discharge propagates in the direction of the descending leader after a long transition phase.’
- ‘The energy released in propagating brush discharges can be high enough to ignite explosive dust-air mixtures even under turbulent conditions.’
- ‘Cone discharges can be more energetic than brush discharges and their limiting energy is dependent on the diameter of the bag being filled as well as the particle size of the product.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the danger of the occurrence of brush discharges is reduced.’
- ‘Propagating brush discharges are considered to be an effective ignition source for gas, vapour, mist and dust air’
- ‘Attempts are made to produce propagating brush discharges by approaching the charged material with a grounded spherical electrode.’
- ‘If plasma balls failed to form, sure enough there were always brush discharges occurring at different points on the brass electrode.’
- ‘It was found that the values for spark discharges are identical with the values for brush discharges determined up to now.’
- ‘In general, the corona brush discharge is used in the device as a plasma generation means for production of the high energy electrons.’
- ‘To me, discharge has always meant a process where the field creates the charge carriers through an ionization process, as in a spark, a corona, or a brush discharge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.