Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Unrefined or partially refined sugar.
- ‘The Barefoot Contessa's filling consists of raisins, walnuts, brown sugar and regular sugar.’
- ‘Whisk together the eggs and brown sugar, ensuring that sugar is well incorporated.’
- ‘I then instructed Max to set out the special condiments that with the crêpes, such as brown sugar, powdered sugar, maple syrup, and some fresh blueberries.’
- ‘Add the fish sauce, water, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and chilies, and purée them together.’
- ‘Combine the water, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper in a medium saucepan.’
- ‘This is what you will need: a pizza stone, several hours before you need to eat, yeast, flour, salt, olive oil, brown sugar, rosemary.’
- ‘Bring orange juice, brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter to a boil.’
- ‘In a pot, combine orange juice, brown sugar, sugar and butter and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Mix the soy sauce, lime juice, vegetable oil, garlic, chilli and brown sugar.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.’
- ‘Plus, Dan coats the chicken with a terrific rub that features cumin, brown sugar, chili powder and other flavors.’
- ‘In separate bowl, combine egg whites, brown sugar and granulated sugar and whisk to soft peaks.’
- ‘That recipe tells you to toast the nuts in the oven for 10 minutes, add them to a bowl of butter, brown sugar, cayenne, Rosemary and salt and toss everything together.’
- ‘For example, chirupayaru payasam is made with lentils which are cooked with unrefined brown sugar, then simmered with coconut milk, cardamom, and ghee.’
- ‘Deep-fry the aubergine in very hot extra virgin olive oil until golden brown, drain the aubergine from the oil and add to the tomato sauce, then add the red wine vinegar and brown sugar.’
- ‘Combine peanut butter, sugar, butter, brown sugar, yoghurt, egg, and vanilla in a bowl and mix well.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, mix together the salt, brown sugar, fennel, coriander, cinnamon, white pepper, Szechuan peppercorns, and clove powder.’
- ‘In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla on medium speed until well blended.’
- ‘I almost thought I should have used regular white sugar instead of brown sugar to bring out the pistachio's green color to the maximum, but cookies themselves were pretty enough and very flavorful.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar and salt.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.