One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of paper made from unbleached wood pulp, used especially to make paper bags and envelopes or as wrapping for parcels.‘she came out with a package wrapped in brown paper and tied with string’as modifier ‘a brown paper grocery bag’
- ‘The bottles should be popped into brown paper bags and taped at the top so you cannot see the label.’
- ‘After about a month, one CD arrived wrapped in brown paper and tied up with string.’
- ‘The single tree on the stage was made by wrapping brown paper around coat hangers.’
- ‘He was drinking from a glass in a brown paper bag.’
- ‘He noticed a grubby little package wrapped up in brown paper lying on the floor.’
- ‘He held out a package wrapped hastily in brown paper, and she pulled up the edge and peeked inside.’
- ‘Julie sat down and took her favorite sandwich out of her brown paper sack.’
- ‘On top of the counter was a long roll of brown paper and a spindle of string for wrapping bulky purchases.’
- ‘Drain on paper towel or brown paper bags.’
- ‘Tucked down the side were several stiff exercise books beautifully bound in brown paper.’
- ‘Workers received their brown paper envelope containing their wages on Fridays.’
- ‘Other paper products, including brown paper bags and cardboard boxes, are unbleached and therefore chlorine-free.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.