One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A celestial object intermediate in size between a giant planet and a small star, believed to emit mainly infrared radiation.
- ‘The red object appears to be a planet orbiting the brighter brown dwarf star, seen here as blue-white.’
- ‘In February and March of this year, the astronomers took new images of the young brown dwarf and its giant planet companion with the NACO instrument on European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope in northern Chile.’
- ‘The research team targeted young stars since planets and brown dwarfs are brighter when they are young.’
- ‘Both extrasolar planets and brown dwarfs give off most of their energy in the infrared region of the spectrum.’
- ‘Almost the size of a brown dwarf star, it was a gas giant planet that had been wandering loose in interstellar space, and our star had attracted it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.