One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A baked pudding made with apples or other fruit and breadcrumbs.
- ‘I kept reminding myself to pick up a Brown Betty while we were out.’
- ‘Apple Brown Betty is one of the oldest desserts in American culinary history, dating back to colonial times.’
- ‘If you're wondering what to do with all the apples you bought at the orchard or farmstand, this Apple Brown Betty recipe will do the trick.’
- ‘The most familiar one is the Apple Brown Betty, made with sliced apples and brown sugar.’
2British A large brown earthenware teapot.
- ‘800220 With history that goes back to the 1600s, the Brown Betty is reputed to make the best pot of tea in the world.’
- ‘It turns out that the Brown Bettys that we sell (traditional British teapots) are cheaper than the ones on the east side.’
- ‘We obviously also like Beehouse pots, which are perfect for two and three cups of tea, as well as Yixing and, of course, the Brown Bettys, to name a few.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.