One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A baked pudding made with apples or other fruit and breadcrumbs.
- ‘If you're wondering what to do with all the apples you bought at the orchard or farmstand, this Apple Brown Betty recipe will do the trick.’
- ‘I kept reminding myself to pick up a Brown Betty while we were out.’
- ‘The most familiar one is the Apple Brown Betty, made with sliced apples and brown sugar.’
- ‘Apple Brown Betty is one of the oldest desserts in American culinary history, dating back to colonial times.’
2British A large brown earthenware teapot.
- ‘We obviously also like Beehouse pots, which are perfect for two and three cups of tea, as well as Yixing and, of course, the Brown Bettys, to name a few.’
- ‘800220 With history that goes back to the 1600s, the Brown Betty is reputed to make the best pot of tea in the world.’
- ‘It turns out that the Brown Bettys that we sell (traditional British teapots) are cheaper than the ones on the east side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.