Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Brothers (in names of companies):‘Moss Bros the tailors’
- ‘Sharp Bros, otherwise known as Sharp's World Of Wood, went into administration earlier this month owing more than £1.473 million.’
- ‘Italy's Angelo Furlan of the Alessio team won the 141.2-kilometre 20th stage from Avila to the Warner Bros Park in San Martin de la Vega.’
- ‘These were Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, and Dreamworks.’
- ‘Reporting directly to Lyor will be Tom Whalley, Chairman and CEO of Warner Bros.’
- ‘Our river trip, courtesy of French Bros, lasted 35 minutes, and while it was a pleasant interlude, the riverbank's sights could not match those of York.’
- ‘Designed by Waldron and Associates Design and Project Management, Engineers and Architects, and constructed by Morris Bros.’
- ‘Like Collateral Damage, it was made by Warner Bros.’
- ‘The stars will join up with stars such as Desmond Harrington, Julianna Margulies, Ron Eldard and Isaiah Washington in the Warner Bros & Village Roadshow co-production.’
- ‘The applicants S & S Driver Bros Ltd are based in Ballinaclash, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow.’
- ‘It's an early look at Gable, as Hurrell defected to Warner Bros in 1934.’
- ‘Moss Bros will supply suits worth £500 for the groom and best man.’
- ‘Warner Bros Pictures, a unit of Time Warner, said it paid $35m for North American rights from Intermedia, a unit of Munich-based IM International-media AG.’
- ‘Thomas retired in 1861 and a new partnership was formed - John HR Molson & Bros.’
- ‘The seven-year-old, 450 lb cat is in the New Cole Bros Circus, performing in Forest Park.’
- ‘The line-up then runs Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Citigroup and Lehman Bros.’
- ‘His clients included Kosset Carpets, Thomas Burnley, Stephenson Bros, Damart and Christopher Pratts.’
- ‘The lunch will be held in Murphy Bros restaurant on Clare St at noon.’
- ‘The removal took place from Lacey Bros Funeral Home, John Street, Carlow to St Clare's Church, Graiguecullen.’
- ‘Remains were removed from Carpenters Bros Funeral Home on Monday to the Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow.’
- ‘The Chief Executive of Teys Bros is Mr Brad Teys and the Chairman is Mr Allan Teys.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.