One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of the borough of Brooklyn, in New York City.
- ‘In the meantime, his life as an average Brooklynite goes on, albeit a Brooklynite with a much more familiar face than most.’
- ‘Many Brooklynites do their shopping, entertaining, and socializing on their side of the East River, proudly refusing to leave their borough except to go to the airport.’
- ‘About 4:30 on a brisk Sunday afternoon, an enterprising pair of Brooklynites set up shop.’
- ‘It will never surpass Ebbets Field in the minds of Brooklynites, but it is still a beautiful place to spend a summer.’
- ‘But Brooklynites have expressed reservations, much of it directed at what they say is the misguided use of Gehry's architectural creativity.’
- ‘So the 29-year-old Brooklynite set up a Web site and asked for help.’
- ‘Like her fellow Brooklynite Barbara Stanwyck, she was born wised-up.’
- ‘When Stephenson made a quick move along the baseline, the Brooklynites erupted.’
- ‘Best wishes from us Brooklynites.’
- ‘Those who opposed the plan, he said, were not true Brooklynites.’
- ‘To most Brooklynites, it is surely the building's exterior, especially the four illuminated clock faces below the dome, that matters most.’
- ‘John and Ryan, two Brooklynites in their 20s, were surprised by how mellow it all is.’
- ‘These sounds play softly three times a day, bringing Brooklynites back to the good old days when the Dodgers were kings.’
- ‘Like Canadians, Brooklynites absorb two cultures automatically, without much choice in the matter.’
- ‘Most bands can't achieve in their whole careers what these Brooklynites have done with only three albums.’
- ‘Cumberland is concerned with the health of Brooklynites of all ages.’
- ‘When he was 14, he met fellow Brooklynite Irving Taylor, with whom he began a successful writing partnership.’
- ‘My parents were Brooklynites who moved to a small town in rural New Jersey before I was born.’
- ‘A Brooklynite whose family is split between Idaho and Atlanta, the single 30-year-old doesn't have a daily planner brimming with errands for others.’
- ‘The car was mostly empty - few Brooklynites can muster up the energy to return to Manhattan after nine at night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.