Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The brook charr.See char
- ‘A brook trout according to my literature is a char.’
- ‘The biologists also caught brook trout, which are native to the Eastern United States.’
- ‘The eastern brook trout in particular was a highly prized fish.’
- ‘You gotta love the aggressiveness of brook trout.’
- ‘It produced the world record brook trout of 14.5 pounds.’
- ‘A tiger trout is a hybrid between a brown trout and a brook trout.’
- ‘Looking close, I could see five suckers and two big brook trout.’
- ‘This year's topic was the restoration of native brook trout in the Smoky Mountains.’
- ‘In three casts I caught three fish, all beautifully marked wild brook trout.’
- ‘The brook trout lived in the deep pot outside that little apron of land.’
- ‘There are many extensive conservation efforts directed towards brook trout, especially naturally reproducing brook trout populations.’
- ‘Sometimes there were trout fillets, rather messily hacked from the brook trout: they were an intense pinkish red like barely ripe strawberries.’
- ‘Lake trout are known to hybridize with brook trout where the range of the two species overlap.’
- ‘I've never tasted such exquisite brook trout.’
- ‘In the process, native brook trout were muscled out of their traditional territory.’
- ‘Stocking is also used to maintain brook trout in acidic lakes at higher elevations.’
- ‘Rattlesnake Brook, which meanders through much of the property, is stocked with brook trout each spring.’
- ‘Hike up the spring-fed creek, where brook trout thrive.’
- ‘The research was conducted on Canadian brook trout, regular, ordinary fish by all standards.’
- ‘Native brook trout still populate the Clear River, which flows from Wallum Lake.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.