Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of a yellowish-brown colour like that of bronze.‘the beach boys are young and strong with bronze-coloured bodies’
copper-coloured, copper, reddish-brown, chestnut, metallic brown, rust-coloured, rust, henna, tanView synonyms
- ‘"It's just really amazing and magical," said Sarah Holmes, who admired the chess piece, a large, faded bronze-colored plastic horse painted to look like metal.’
- ‘The inside layer is either printed glass, reinforced security glass, or copper or bronze-colored mirrored glass.’
- ‘The bronze-colored finish with highlights of gold lacquer is original.’
- ‘Witnesses told officers that they saw three men park a bronze-colored car approximately 15 meters from the parked van.’
- ‘Its gates were large, wrought of bronze-colored iron, and seemed to Pieta's eyes to reach halfway to the heavens.’
- ‘Not only are the new lanterns brighter, but their thick bronze-colored base, glowing light and antenna-like bird deterrent devices are reminiscent of the 1938 radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds" that panicked the nation with fears of an alien invasion.’
- ‘It's noted for its smoky bronze-coloured foliage and apricot yellow-coloured flowers.’
- ‘The firm's most common finish was gold lacquer, but it also produced bronze-colored finishes as well.’
- ‘Overgrowths of fine-grained, bronze-colored siderite are often present on selected faces of the fluorite crystals.’
- ‘The fries were bronze-coloured rather than golden and the cakes' breadcrumb shell was too hard.’
- ‘In every other direction the low curves of the moor, bronze-colored from the fading ferns, stretched away to the sky-line.’
- ‘It has a bronze-coloured centre and silver coloured border.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.