Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sound of derision or contempt made by blowing through closed lips with the tongue between them.
- ‘Baseball got a Bronx cheer from fans on Nov. 6 when, for the first time in a century, it announced plans to eliminate two teams.’
- ‘Any hint of talking down to the troops with high-flown hyperbole was promptly greeted with catcalls and Bronx cheers.’
- ‘So it's no wonder that the loudest Bronx cheer in Washington goes to lame-duck Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe, who has presided over two disastrous election setbacks in 24 months.’
- ‘New York is one of the most reliably Democratic cities in the nation, and it's hardly surprising to hear a Republican president getting a Bronx cheer in that part of the country.’
- ‘I heard a noise that I vaguely recognized as a Bronx cheer coming from Leia.’
- ‘But all last week's election in Brazil got from Wall Street was a Bronx cheer.’
- ‘People waved pom-poms, held up signs, and mixed Brooklyn catcalls with Bronx cheers.’
- ‘She shuddered, making a noise like a Bronx cheer.’
- ‘His insistence that global warming was a serious and growing crisis was also greeted with Bronx cheers, as conservatives insisted that global warming was a fiction conjured up by extremist environmental groups.’
- ‘What he heard was the British equivalent of a Bronx cheer.’
- ‘Connie reacted with a Bronx cheer and two thumbs down.’
- ‘When 44 states denied having any such schools and the remaining states admitted to having a combined total of fewer than 50, one safety expert greeted the publication of the lists with a Bronx cheer.’
1920s: named after the Bronx in New York.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.