One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- former term for apatosaurus
- ‘Many paleontologists argue that brontosaurs and other huge dinos really didn't lumber and weren't stupid.’
- ‘A bunch of moss-munching brontosauruses standing together looking up in the sky, as a giant, earth-shattering meteor comes hurling down from the heavens.’
- ‘In them are the bones of hundreds of dinosaurs, including skeletons of giant brontosaurs which were mired in soft mud.’
- ‘He had a brain in him the size of a bloated brontosaurus, but unfortunately he had a temper to match.’
- ‘It must have been a truly awesome sight to watch a herd of brontosaurs crossing a Mesozoic floodplain; evoking the same sense of awe, and puniness in one's own being in comparison, as one would feel when observing whales close up.’
Modern Latin (former genus name), from Greek brontē ‘thunder’ + sauros ‘lizard’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.