One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild or half-tamed horse of the western US.
- ‘Caroline used to ride wild broncos on the local rodeo circuit.’
- ‘Though heavily saddled with cliché, Pure Mule exhibits at least some of the commendably defiant instincts of a bucking bronco.’
- ‘I usually rode broncos but that day I decided to try bull ridin’ for a second time.’
- ‘Neil Webb, 90th MDG emergency medical technician, looked up with a grin of disbelief, as a bronco bucked and narrowly missed crushing a downed contestant's foot.’
- ‘Dusting off her chinks she picked up her cowboy hat and ran from the bucking bronco that was turning back and running at her.’
- ‘And those with a bit of daring can scramble up a climbing wall, ride a bucking bronco, fight it out on the pole or even joust.’
- ‘Almost every day, rain or shine, my sisters and I could go out on our ponies, with only the sister on the bucking bronco wearing a crash hat.’
- ‘Hübbe gamboled gamely, swinging his leg up and over as if mounting a horse in preparation for pirouettes, or bounding in leaps as if he were riding a bronco.’
- ‘After eight years of bull riding, Maurer switched to bareback bronco riding.’
- ‘Swing boats, carousels, inflatable sumo wrestlers and rodeo-style bucking broncos are among a host of rides booked.’
- ‘Ben watches in horror as Flynn smashes holes in a horse box and turns into a bucking bronco when they try to put a saddle on him.’
- ‘Peck bears down and learns to ride the bucking broncos and out-cowboy the tough cowboys before finally settling with Heston.’
- ‘‘It's good to be back to regular work,’ Chess commented as Ira crossed the fence to try his hand at the bronco.’
- ‘And how has being injured affected his approach to riding bulls and broncos?’
- ‘Dusty eased onto the bronco, who shied as soon as he felt weight on him.’
- ‘Bungee walking, a bouncy castle and a bucking bronco provided colourful entertainment for youngsters, while a car-boot sale attracted some of their parents.’
- ‘Bucking broncos, buffalo and cowboys are all a part of the landscape in Jackson Hole, Wyo., a town which has preserved the feeling of the American ‘Wild West.’’
- ‘His back still hurts from an incident with a bucking bronco, but he treats it by doing yoga.’
- ‘The horse was small, but it was sturdy, and it suddenly started bucking and plunging in a manner that would have done a bronco proud.’
- ‘Among the better-known artists, Essenhigh came across especially strongly with a screenprint that abstracts two bucking broncos into a design motif.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, literally ‘rough, rude’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.