One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the major air passages of the lungs which diverge from the windpipe.
- ‘This network of alveoli, bronchioles, and bronchi is known as the bronchial tree.’
- ‘Virtual endoscopy has been used to evaluate the colon, bronchi, stomach, blood vessels, bladder, kidney, larynx, and paranasal sinuses.’
- ‘Baseline measurements were attempted in the trachea, main bronchus, and lobar and segmentai bronchi, avoiding areas covered in mucus and sites of bleeding or previous lavage.’
- ‘Cancer can occur in the lining of these bronchi or in the lung tissue itself.’
- ‘With respect to the lungs, formalin was infused through the trachea or mainstem bronchi until the lungs were normally expanded.’
- ‘The tumor frequently extended to the adjacent lung parenchyma, bronchi, visceral pleura, and mediastinal soft tissues.’
- ‘They are heard when there is consolidation of lung tissue with bronchi that open into the consolidation, such as occurs in pneumonia.’
- ‘An air leak was later noted between the bronchus and the lung abscess so the abscess catheter was placed to a water seal in a Pleurovac.’
- ‘When you inhale, air is carried through the windpipe to your lungs in two major airways called bronchi.’
- ‘Bacterial complications are: Infections of nose and pharynx, sinuses, infections of the bronchi, the lungs and the middle ear.’
- ‘The airways (trachea, bronchi, bronchioles) are surrounded by a type of involuntary muscle known as smooth muscle.’
- ‘The right lung was then carefully liberated from major bronchi and vessels, homogenized, and stored for analysis of hydroxyproline content.’
- ‘The bronchial courses caudally, beneath the arch of the azygos vein, to the right bronchus, where it follows the posterosuperior border of the bronchus to enter the lung.’
- ‘Emmprin has been found immunohistochemically in ciliated cells of normal bronchi and bronchi affected by squamous cell carcinoma.’
- ‘The isolated lung tissues were divided into two portions: the trachea and main bronchus and the lungs.’
- ‘During the six years of follow-up, 2,622 men and 1,406 women died from cancers of the lung, bronchus, or trachea.’
- ‘The outcome measure was death from cancer of the trachea, bronchus, or lung as the underlying cause, coded from the death certificate.’
- ‘Augmentations in lung volume help constricted bronchi remain open, thereby attenuating the lumenal reductions.’
- ‘After the experiments finished, the lungs, including trachea and bronchi, were dissected out and weighed.’
- ‘Minor salivary glands of mucinous type are also located in the nose, paranasal sinuses, the larynx, trachea and bronchi.’
Late 17th century: from late Latin, from Greek bronkhos ‘windpipe’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.