Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Spasm of bronchial smooth muscle, producing narrowing of the bronchi.
- ‘The products of combustion, though cooled by the time they reach the lungs, act as direct irritants to the lungs, leading to bronchospasm, inflammation, and bronchorrhoea.’
- ‘None of the animals developed hypoxemia, hemoptysis, bronchospasm, or respiratory distress either during or after treatment.’
- ‘Acid reflux has been associated with bronchospasm, heightened bronchial reactivity, and airway edema.’
- ‘If asthma is considered the result of two main pathogenic mechanisms, bronchospasm and inflammation, there are theoretic grounds to seek the involvement of heme oxygenase in both.’
- ‘Because patients with more severe disease are more prone to respiratory tract infections and bronchospasm, we chose to evaluate patients with only mild-to-moderate COPD.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.