Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of the mucous membrane in the bronchial tubes. It typically causes bronchospasm and coughing.
- ‘Similar issues arise in relation to bronchitis or asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.’
- ‘It focused on therapy, and chronic bronchitis and emphysema were redefined.’
- ‘A bout of influenza in 1997 developed into bronchitis and pneumonia and put him into hospital.’
- ‘Sometimes, the colds cause pneumonia or exacerbate chronic bronchitis or asthma.’
- ‘Pneumonia, bronchitis, and sinus and ear infections are three examples of complications from flu.’
- ‘They all presented with typical symptoms of bronchitis and recurrent sinusitis or otitis.’
- ‘Rarely, flu can develop into a high fever, acute bronchitis, encephalitis and pneumonia.’
- ‘Chronic bronchitis is an inflammation and eventual scarring of the lining of the bronchial tubes.’
- ‘Differentiation between pneumonia and acute bronchitis is important because of the therapeutic consequences.’
- ‘This is a viral infection that typically causes conjunctivitis, bronchitis, rash and fever.’
- ‘Sometimes people with a chronic lung disease such as emphysema or bronchitis can take beta blockers.’
- ‘Wilson and colleagues looked at emphysema and chronic bronchitis separately.’
- ‘Over the years, the patient had been hospitalized many times with bronchitis and pneumonia.’
- ‘Maternal smoking was associated with only wheezy bronchitis and not asthma.’
- ‘Laryngitis may also be a feature of bronchitis, pneumonia, flu or measles.’
- ‘Some human lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis may leave the patient drowsy or even comatose because of the build up of carbon dioxide in the body.’
- ‘Moreover, about half of the subjects with new asthma also reported chronic bronchitis.’
- ‘This means it is very bad for people with respiratory problems such as bronchitis and asthma.’
- ‘Sometimes the cough from acute bronchitis lasts for several weeks or months.’
- ‘In a few cases the symptoms appeared within the context of chronic bronchitis or late stage pneumonia.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.