One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal widening of the bronchi or their branches, causing a risk of infection.
- ‘Babies with whooping cough can develop pneumonia, bronchiectasis (pockets of infection form in the small airways of the lungs) and/or collapsed lung.’
- ‘Bronchial casts have been described in various disorders, including asthma, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis.’
- ‘A hallmark of H. influenzae infections in bronchiectasis and COPD is their propensity for recurrence.’
- ‘Hypersecretion is an important feature in many chronic airway diseases, including COPD, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and acute asthma.’
- ‘COPD is a subset of obstructive lung diseases that also includes cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and asthma.’
Late 19th century: from Greek bronkhia (denoting the branches of the main bronchi) + ektasis ‘dilatation’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.