Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Abnormal widening of the bronchi or their branches, causing a risk of infection.
- ‘COPD is a subset of obstructive lung diseases that also includes cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and asthma.’
- ‘Hypersecretion is an important feature in many chronic airway diseases, including COPD, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and acute asthma.’
- ‘Babies with whooping cough can develop pneumonia, bronchiectasis (pockets of infection form in the small airways of the lungs) and/or collapsed lung.’
- ‘Bronchial casts have been described in various disorders, including asthma, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis.’
- ‘A hallmark of H. influenzae infections in bronchiectasis and COPD is their propensity for recurrence.’
Late 19th century: from Greek bronkhia (denoting the branches of the main bronchi) + ektasis dilatation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.