Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the bronchi or bronchioles.‘bronchial pneumonia’
- ‘Vascular and bronchial connections to surrounding tissue were evaluated at surgery.’
- ‘We observed that hypoxia is a common event in the mucosal capillary blood of bronchial tumors.’
- ‘They reduce mucosal oedema and bronchial hyperreactivity thus relieving acute symptoms and preventing structural damage to the lungs.’
- ‘Some of the mineral dusts can directly translocate into the bronchial mucosa without the help of macrophages.’
- ‘The distal bronchial lumen often ends abruptly because the smaller bronchi are plugged with mucus.’
- ‘The lungs receive blood from the pulmonary and bronchial arterial systems.’
- ‘Pulmonary as well as bronchial arterial angiography did not identify any irregularity.’
- ‘It then continues cranialward to bifurcate into an appropriate intercostal and a right bronchial artery.’
- ‘Instances also occur of two distinct bronchial arteries for each lung.’
- ‘The discoloration can also occur in nasal, bronchial mucosa, fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘In humans, the presence of asthma is associated with an increase in DC numbers in the bronchial mucosa.’
- ‘The medical term for lung cancer is bronchial carcinoma.’
- ‘These potent chemicals dilate blood vessels and constrict bronchial air passages.’
- ‘It runs the entire length of the bronchial tree and forms an extensive submucosal bronchial plexus.’
- ‘This suggests progressive bronchial and/or arterial disease in the infants.’
- ‘He said Mr Nutton died from bronchial pneumonia and a neurological disorder known as Binswanger's Disease.’
- ‘Small bronchial arterial branches to the left upper lobe were ligated.’
- ‘Bleeding occurs most often from erosion of a bronchial artery and rarely from major pulmonary vessels.’
- ‘On the other hand, melatonin reportedly induced contraction of bovine bronchial smooth muscle.’
- ‘Histamine release produces increased bronchial tone in the lungs and vasodilation in the skin.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.