Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the bronchi or bronchioles.‘bronchial pneumonia’
- ‘Histamine release produces increased bronchial tone in the lungs and vasodilation in the skin.’
- ‘On the other hand, melatonin reportedly induced contraction of bovine bronchial smooth muscle.’
- ‘They reduce mucosal oedema and bronchial hyperreactivity thus relieving acute symptoms and preventing structural damage to the lungs.’
- ‘We observed that hypoxia is a common event in the mucosal capillary blood of bronchial tumors.’
- ‘Bleeding occurs most often from erosion of a bronchial artery and rarely from major pulmonary vessels.’
- ‘The distal bronchial lumen often ends abruptly because the smaller bronchi are plugged with mucus.’
- ‘Vascular and bronchial connections to surrounding tissue were evaluated at surgery.’
- ‘In humans, the presence of asthma is associated with an increase in DC numbers in the bronchial mucosa.’
- ‘Some of the mineral dusts can directly translocate into the bronchial mucosa without the help of macrophages.’
- ‘The lungs receive blood from the pulmonary and bronchial arterial systems.’
- ‘It then continues cranialward to bifurcate into an appropriate intercostal and a right bronchial artery.’
- ‘These potent chemicals dilate blood vessels and constrict bronchial air passages.’
- ‘Small bronchial arterial branches to the left upper lobe were ligated.’
- ‘Pulmonary as well as bronchial arterial angiography did not identify any irregularity.’
- ‘The discoloration can also occur in nasal, bronchial mucosa, fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘The medical term for lung cancer is bronchial carcinoma.’
- ‘He said Mr Nutton died from bronchial pneumonia and a neurological disorder known as Binswanger's Disease.’
- ‘Instances also occur of two distinct bronchial arteries for each lung.’
- ‘It runs the entire length of the bronchial tree and forms an extensive submucosal bronchial plexus.’
- ‘This suggests progressive bronchial and/or arterial disease in the infants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.