One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug used in the treatment of parkinsonism, galactorrhoea, and other conditions. It is a synthetic analogue of the ergot alkaloids and stimulates the dopaminergic receptors of the brain, inhibiting the release of prolactin.
- ‘This 8-week, open-label clinical trial used two different dose escalation regimens to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the combination of bupropion and bromocriptine in the treatment of cocaine dependence.’
- ‘A successful example of this approach is the use of two dopaminergic medications, bromocriptine and L-DOPA, in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.’
- ‘Despite each of these caveats, many clinicians will choose to use a specific treatment such as bromocriptine or dantrolene because drugs have a low risk of significant toxicity compared to the NMS, and they may be beneficial.’
- ‘Digoxin, morphine, ephedrine, vincristine, ergotamine, bromocriptine, and others are carefully tested and standardized drugs from plants.’
- ‘Medical treatments for prolactinomas include bromocriptine and cabergoline.’
1970s: from bromo- + ergocryptine (an ergot alkaloid, from ergot + Greek kruptos ‘hidden’) + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.