One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 35, a dark red fuming toxic liquid with a choking, irritating smell. It is a member of the halogen group and occurs chiefly in the form of salts in seawater and brines.
- ‘Dry chlorine, iodine, bromine and fluorine cause little or no corrosion of magnesium at room or slightly elevated temperature.’
- ‘The two main ingredients are reactive halogen gases such as chlorine or bromine and sunlight.’
- ‘The elements that appear enriched from measurements that Spirit took with her alpha particle x-ray spectrometer are potassium, phosphorous, sulfur, chlorine, bromine.’
- ‘Fluorine, chlorine, and bromine are all more chemically reactive than iodine; when in the body, they all tend to disrupt stable iodine molecules, displacing the iodine and causing its excretion.’
- ‘Mercury is the only liquid metal and the only liquid element except for bromine.’
- ‘The ozone depleting compounds contain combinations of the elements chlorine, fluorine, bromine, carbon and hydrogen.’
- ‘The spa's thermal waters, which bubble out of the ground at 38 degrees centigrade, have a high incidence of sulphate sodium, bromine and iodine and are particularly beneficial for those with respiratory conditions.’
- ‘The proportion of bromine to other chemically similar elements, like chlorine, varied by a factor of 10 from place to place.’
- ‘So, in the Lounge, we are reminded that computers, TVs, and radios contain such deadly things as cadmium, arsenic, bromine, and lead mercury.’
- ‘Along with carbon, they include elements such as hydrogen, oxygen, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, sulphur or nitrogen.’
- ‘The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.’
- ‘Jacob Berzelius immediately denominated chlorine, bromine, and iodine as ‘halogens’ or elements that form salts.’
- ‘Other nations have signed since then, and recent studies indicate that the levels of bromine, another ozone-destroying chemical, are actually dropping.’
- ‘‘While chlorine and bromine chemicals cause the ozone hole, temperature is also a key factor in ozone loss,’ Newman said.’
- ‘While chlorine and bromine chemicals cause the ozone hole, extremely cold temperatures, especially near the edge of Antarctica, are also key factors in ozone loss.’
- ‘Then there was chlorine, bromine, and iodine: pungent, poisonous, and coloured gases.’
- ‘For instance, electronegativities in the halide sequence fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine decrease from fluorine through iodine.’
- ‘Recent experiments have begun identifying oxidizing gases, such as ozone and molecules containing the halogens bromine and chlorine, as triggers for that mercury fallout.’
- ‘Organohalogens are organic compounds that contain one or more halogen atoms (fluorine, chlorine, bromine or iodine).’
- ‘Allenes are prepared by the removal of bromine and hydrogen bromide from 1,2, 3 tribromopropane and its derivatives under the action of potassium hydroxide, zinc, and ethanol.’
Early 19th century: from French brome, from Greek brōmos ‘a stink’, + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.