Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Photographic printing paper coated with silver bromide emulsion:‘sample pages beautifully printed on bromide paper’
- ‘Back then we printed off the text on different widths of bromide paper.’
- ‘Looking at the print color, most photographers would assume it was on a bromide paper, but it has very subtle purple-brown blacks and light blue midtones.’
- ‘Luminos Classic Warm Tone is a very interesting paper that is available in one grade only - it is unusual in that it is a warm-toned emulsion that solarizes like a bromide paper.’
- ‘It's not a bad little print, made on an Agfa bromide paper with a sparkly, slightly beaded finish that has kept its lustre all these years.’
- ‘Agfa Brovira is said to be the only pure bromide paper still in production, and amidol formulas do indeed give cold blue-black hues with this paper.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.