One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt or ester of bromic acid.
- ‘The bottles were also found to contain dangerous levels of the potentially harmful chemical bromate, which were higher than those legally permitted in the UK.’
- ‘While bromate is potentially carcinogenic, a spokeswoman for Coca-Cola stressed that there was no health risk from drinking bottles of Dasani.’
- ‘A spokesman told News Shopper the excess bromate was due to a chemical reaction during the adding of ozone to the water.’
- ‘Potassium bromate has been used as a food additive in the treatment of flour and as a constituent of the neutralizer in cold-wave hair solutions.’
- ‘When illegal levels of cancer-causing bromate chemicals were discovered, Coke had no choice but to recall 500,000 bottles and abandon the drink's launch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.