Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A skewer or spit on which chunks of meat or fish are barbecued, grilled, or roasted.‘beef and lamb en brochette’
skewer, brochette, rotisserieView synonyms
- ‘The best of the seafood dishes was a platter of monkfish and giant sea scallops, densely skewered on a rosemary brochette.’
- ‘Chunks of moist chicken, bursting with taste and tenderness, are grilled on a brochette with slices of blackened onion.’
- ‘The brochettes are very long and have a V-shaped blade in order to more easily pierce the meat.’
- 1.1A dish consisting of chunks of meat or fish cooked on a brochette.‘healthy dishes like brochettes of seafood’
- ‘The dish came with two brochettes, and these were something else - tender and juicy and infused with citrusy flavour.’
- ‘You know the lamb must be fresh when it's the basis for three daily dishes: soup, brochette or shoulder.’
- ‘Place the brochettes on a preheated barbecue and cook for 4-5 minutes each side.’
- ‘I have some things to say about this quail brochette.’
- ‘The menu is split into four sections: salads, fresh fish, meats and brochettes.’
- ‘The aromas mingle in the smoke of the little brochettes grilling over braziers.’
- ‘Anyone with a hankering for an ostrich fillet or a brochette of kangaroo but not sure where in Kerry they might get hold of such delights such check out the latest addition to dining out in Killarney.’
- ‘The assortment was rounded out by a savoury lamb meatball loaded with parsley, and small chunks of grilled lamb brochette.’
- ‘Just as all the appetizers are available in varied formats, the main courses of falafel or meat brochettes are served as sandwich or as a platter.’
- ‘Veggies can try Turkish vegetable brochettes with pepper, onions, zucchini, and cottage cheese with saffron rice or the spicier Thai vegetable curry with steamed rice.’
- ‘The grilled brochette was served with three different kinds of basmati rice.’
- ‘A better bet was the beef kebab, a brochette containing six large chunks of meat, grilled pepper, onion and zucchini, served with a tasty peppercorn dipping sauce.’
- ‘Go all out with the chef's couscous special, presented in a peaked ceramic dish containing five simmered meats, including a tender lamb chop, succulent chicken, merguez sausage, a savoury meatball and a grilled lamb brochette.’
- ‘After some hemming and hawing, I ordered the barg kebab, a grilled, marinated brochette of filet mignon.’
- ‘The plate of lamb brochette had lots of elements to sample.’
- ‘The Dad ordered marinated lamb brochette on a bed of garlic wild rice and red pepper dressing for €16.’
- ‘We also ordered the chicken brochette with a spicy marinade.’
- ‘More fowl - the grilled hoffman ranch thyme chicken brochettes were amazing.’
- ‘Main courses include great brochettes, fragrant rice and a veggie plate.’
- ‘The brochettes come on skewers that could be used for sword-fighting, hanging over each end of the large oval serving plate.’
French, diminutive of broche skewer.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.