One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sword with a wide blade, used for cutting rather than thrusting.
- ‘Without dismounting, he drew his broadsword and rapped the hilt against the gate.’
- ‘The rebels were not only outnumbered but outclassed in weapons, being themselves heavily dependent upon broadswords and shields while their enemies had muskets and bayonets and above all artillery.’
- ‘They brandished war hammers, axes, broadswords, and spears of all shapes and sizes.’
- ‘Suddenly the boy's eyes flashed a dark blue before he began to charge forward, swinging his broadsword with a single arm.’
- ‘Hung on the walls were swords of every kind: kodachis, katanas, fencing swords, even the heavy and antique broadswords.’
- ‘There was no skill with the long sword, and Jash wielded the broadsword with a shocking incompetence.’
- ‘The axe shaved off an inch of steel off of the broadsword's blade.’
- ‘In the case she noticed a gargantuan broadsword, the blade about four and a half feet long.’
- ‘When he reappeared, he had a small pack as well as a broadsword and two smaller swords meant for cooperative use strapped to his back.’
- ‘He himself took his broadsword, katana and short hunting knife for his leg.’
- ‘The battle armour he always wore clanked incessantly against the scabbard of the broadsword at his waist.’
- ‘The armored soldiers, bearing their large broadswords, axes and spears, flooded into the cave, making the only exit closed from escape.’
- ‘He leapt from his chair and hurtled around the desk, pausing only for a second at the door to strap on his gun and a broadsword.’
- ‘He raised his sword arm in a fit of rage, preparing to strike her with his broadsword, leaving himself wide open for attack.’
- ‘His arms were thick and muscular, on his back was strapped a thick broadsword, it's hilt made of bronze and silver.’
- ‘She saw three men rush in, all carrying broadswords, heavy swords that were almost as hard to block as axes.’
- ‘First of which, the hair was in a ponytail and her sword was a black broadsword.’
- ‘The crowd roared as Derryn swung his sword up, the large blade of his broadsword knocking aside the slash aimed at his head.’
- ‘We started to talk about knives and Mick told me he had a huge collection of knives and swords, ranging from tiny little daggers up to Katanas and Medieval broadswords.’
- ‘The sword was just as deadly as a broadsword but lighter and easier to handle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.