One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sideways on.‘the ship swung broadside on to the current of the river’
- ‘Any cyclist crossing the roundabout from Stockton Lane to Heworth Green is in danger of being hit broadside on.’
- ‘The lighters had not been moored and were drifting away from the beach on a fast current, coming broadside on to the shore.’
- ‘When the Sun, Earth, and Mercury are aligned, the orbital motion appears fast, because the Mercury is seen broadside on, like a vehicle passing an observer at the roadside.’
- ‘Suddenly, Asedrisean heard a sword clatter to the earth and felt it land broadside on his chest.’
- ‘Thousands of people flocked to the beachfront to watch last night's drama as heavy seas pounded the Oranjeland lying broadside on the beachfront.’
- ‘He turned the animal broadside on to act as an anchor, and started to strip off his clothes.’
- ‘She was 135 days out from Tacoma on the west coast of the United States, loaded with grain bound for Falmouth when, in a south-westerly gale, she hit the rock broadside on, her mainyard smashing into the tower.’
- ‘And when they were actually engaged and one ship was making for another in order to ram it, it would swerve from its course and receive a side-blow from the other's beak, whilst the one which was coming broadside on would suddenly be swung round and present its prow.’
- ‘There was a technical issue between the experts as to whether if the vessel had been manoeuvred by tugs back to the shore, either stern on or broadside on, it would have capsized as its hull came into contact with the shelving seabed.’
- ‘Weighill stayed at 1000-ft and watched five of the Naval vessels, which were about a mile from the beach and turned broadside on, proceeding to belch flame and destruction.’
- ‘A Thai coastal patrol boat caught broadside on by the waves had been tumbled over and over and finished hundreds of yards inshore.’
- ‘The ‘Symphonie’ was now broadside on the rocks with an ebbing tide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.