Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting antibiotics, pesticides, etc. effective against a large variety of organisms.‘pretreatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics’
- ‘A broad-spectrum therapy is recommended in suspected ascitic fluid infection until culture results and susceptibility are available.’
- ‘In addition, broad-spectrum pesticides kill natural predators that keep pests in check.’
- ‘This protocol included the use of broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics immediately after the diagnosis was made.’
- ‘Patients should select broad-spectrum sunscreens that contain agents that block UVB and UVA with an SPF of 30 or greater.’
- ‘Itraconazole, a synthetic broad-spectrum triazole, is currently available as an injection, oral solution, and capsule.’
- ‘If no answer had been provided immediately, presumptive broad-spectrum therapy may have been continued until a result was returned.’
- ‘It's a very effective broad-spectrum killer and has been used for 40 years in 80 countries worldwide.’
- ‘He was admitted to the intensive care unit in septic shock and was treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics and vasopressors.’
- ‘Some authorities advocate empiric therapy with broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics.’
- ‘The use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen is recommended in all patients with dermatomyositis and has the greatest benefit in patients who are photosensitive.’
- ‘In hospital, painkillers and broad-spectrum antibiotics are given to clear up the infection.’
- ‘Despite an overall decline in antibiotic prescriptions, broad-spectrum agents are still overused.’
- ‘At present, the most effective strategy available to deal with S. pyogenes is treatment of acute infections by administration of therapeutic doses of a broad-spectrum antibiotic like penicillin.’
- ‘The empiric use of broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics is therefore unnecessary in children with typical signs and symptoms of RSV bronchiolitis, and may be harmful.’
- ‘Antistaphylococcal agents are best for axillary disease, and more broad-spectrum coverage is better for perineal disease.’
- ‘The patient was treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics, verapamil and digoxin, and oxygen, and anticoagulation was adjusted.’
- ‘For more severe infections involving the entire follicle, you may need oral antibiotics or broad-spectrum antifungal agents.’
- ‘The periodic acid-Schiff stain is used widely as a broad-spectrum stain for fungal detection.’
- ‘Because most necrotizing soft tissue infections are polymicrobial, broad-spectrum coverage is advisable.’
- ‘Instead of being broad-spectrum and long-lasting, organic pesticides may attack just one type of insect and break down quickly after use.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.