One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being British or of having characteristics regarded as typically British.‘a brand that used to boast its Britishness on its carrier bags’‘my Britishness comes out in my writing’
- ‘The unionists have adopted fish and chips as a symbol of Britishness.’
- ‘The context of the development of television is highly British, in the late-eighteenth-century sense of Britishness.’
- ‘Generations of British musicians have found Britishness to be a rather thorny subject.’
- ‘The mid-century wars had generated much patriotic rhetoric in praise of Britishness.’
- ‘In trying to avoid American terminology, your album tries to translate everything into a Britishness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.