One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The amount of heat needed to raise 1 lb of water at maximum density through one degree Fahrenheit, equivalent to 1.055 × 10³ joules.
- ‘Gasoline futures, which have been near record territory recently, fell US $0.0113 to US $1.8292 per gallon while natural gas prices eased US $0.1490 to US $13.226 per million British thermal units.’
- ‘The price of LNG is currently set at between US $2.20 and $2.40 per million British thermal unit.’
- ‘Under the building code, every new and remodeled home in Pitkin County must meet a strict ‘energy budget’ of approximately 40,000 British thermal units per square foot.’
- ‘The price of natural gas sold to the LIC sector will be reduced by 20 cents per million British thermal unit, and will take effect from December 1, 2004.’
- ‘Through the 1990s, gas prices were among the world's lowest, averaging $2 per million British thermal units (BTUs).’
- ‘Most energy companies use natural gas to fire their generators, and the industrial price of natural gas has climbed to $7.22 per million British thermal units from $6.05 a year earlier.’
- ‘Any system greater than 15,000 British thermal units per hour must have such controls.’
- ‘The gas, amounting to 243.27 trillion British thermal units in total, will come from Rancak, Pagerungan and Terang Sirasun fields in the province.’
- ‘In 1973, the US consumed 20 million British thermal units of energy to produce $1 of gross domestic product.’
- ‘On Friday, gas for delivery in November closed at $13.4 per million British thermal units - in 2003, it averaged just $4.40.’
- ‘The British thermal unit content of natural gas is approximately one-sixth the BTU content of oil.’
- ‘The fertilizer firm's contract with Exxon to supply natural gas at US $2.3 per million British thermal unit expired at the end of last month.’
- ‘When gas hit $10 per million British thermal units in late 2000, a lot of power plants and businesses switched to other fuels.’
- ‘Consider that a barrel of oil has roughly the same energy as 6 million British thermal units of natural gas, a ratio that usually keeps the two commodities trading more or less in sync.’
- ‘Petronas will supply 145 billion British thermal unit per day to Tambak Lorok, at a price of US $2.78 per million British thermal unit, said Ali.’
- ‘One Btu, British thermal unit, is roughly equivalent to burning one kitchen match.’
- ‘Today the world produces and consumes nearly 400 quadrillion British thermal units of power.’
- ‘Propane heaters are rated in British thermal units, and are typically found in the 10,000 to 50,000 BTU range (larger sizes are also available).’
- ‘Natural-gas futures are up 79 percent since the year began and touched a record US $11.899 per million British thermal units yesterday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.’
- ‘Natural gas for October delivery rose US $0.046, or 1.4 percent, to US $3.296 per million British thermal units on the New York Mercantile Exchange.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.