One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of sign language developed in the UK and fundamentally different from American Sign Language.
- ‘Community services manager at CDA Peter Shaw has been giving talks on British Sign Language and every talk he has given has been followed by donations and letters of thanks.’
- ‘After all, they have devised, tuned and mastered a whole new language British Sign Language and that's amazing by anybody's standards.’
- ‘Around 6000 protesters marched to Downing Street where a petition was delivered urging the Prime Minister to give British Sign Language the same legal status as English.’
- ‘The 33-year-old, from Chiseldon, has been deaf since he was 13 months old and uses British Sign Language as his first language.’
- ‘Swindon-based national interpreter agency Sign Lingual is running sessions called An Introduction to British Sign Language.’
- ‘Campaigners who fought for British Sign Language to be recognised as an official language are celebrating success after the Government announced that it is to inject £1m into promoting its teaching.’
- ‘I keep promising myself that I'll learn British Sign Language so that I can speak with my hands.’
- ‘SOME 2,000 people marched in London on Saturday of last week for the legal recognition of British Sign Language.’
- ‘The scariest thing was not knowing how to communicate with them, so we got a deaf woman called Christina in to teach us British Sign Language.’
- ‘He has tiny arms with just four fingers on one hand and three on the other so British Sign Language is difficult to understand.’
- ‘The play will be performed with fully integrated British Sign Language.’
- ‘ASL is at least as different from English, and for that matter from British Sign Language, as French is.’
- ‘The audience is mainly profoundly deaf British Sign Language users, for those who have BSL as their first language.’
- ‘I am a deaf person and a British Sign Language user.’
- ‘All the hand signals are based on British Sign Language, with music videos to accompany the 10-week course.’
- ‘It is based on the same principals at British Sign Language but has been simplified for the children.’
- ‘Parenting a deaf child is a CD-ROM showing film footage of deaf and hearing parents sharing their experiences in speech and British Sign Language.’
- ‘He was diagnosed as profoundly deaf as a toddler after an accident, and British Sign Language is his first language.’
- ‘He decided to learn British Sign Language when he was a union rep with the Royal Mail in Swindon, specifically so that he could communicate with a new employee, Richard Reeves.’
- ‘He learned sign language and mainly signs in SSE (Sign Supported English) which takes British Sign Language signs and forms them in to the order that they would be spoken.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.