Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An idiom used in Britain but not in other English-speaking countries:‘‘Toy boy’ is a Briticism for a ‘gigolo.’’
- ‘And while you're about it, give a thought to other delightful Britishisms that have roots in Indian words: mulligatawny soup, Old Blighty, tickety-boo, going doolally…’
- ‘More open to interpretation is ‘off one's own bat ’, which certainly originates from cricket, but is not always marked as a Briticism in American dictionaries.’
- ‘Co-workers of state employee Alice Meredith say that since a one-week trip to England last month, her use of Britishisms has become an annoyance.’
- ‘A reader who knows put me right: ‘one-off is a Britishism that means single or one-time.’’
- ‘Accordingly, I made a conscious effort to avoid overdoing the unfamiliar Briticisms and obscure pop-cultural references, providing explanations and links whenever they were needed.’
- ‘Specialism must be a Britishism, I told myself.’
- ‘The simulation is perfectly fluent; the program even writes in Britishisms: maths, programme, telly, labour.’
- ‘She's reading an Ian McEwan book for school, and I have to help her with its Britishisms.’
- ‘Scholars of English in the US are as inclined to point out Briticisms as their colleagues in the UK are to point out Americanisms.’
- ‘I got a new camera - a proper camera as the English would say (that's my favorite Briticism: proper).’
- ‘This article chronicles some of these differences, although some of the proclaimed Briticisms here don't seem so British to me at all.’
- ‘He comes from a party, he says, ‘that lost four elections on the trot’ (a wonderful Britishism for ‘in a row’).’
Mid 19th century: from British, on the pattern of words such as Gallicism.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.