Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mainly tropical filmy fern with hair-like bristles protruding from the spore-containing bodies.
- ‘Ferns of interest included the bristle fern.’
- ‘The streak-sorus fern is often associated with, most notably, the Appalachian bristle fern.’
- ‘Bristle fern demands shaded crevices and grottoes in sandy or acidic rocks.’
- ‘Bristle fern, Polystichum and Rumohra are some of the genera which have representatives in the South African flora.’
- ‘In the darkest areas in several gullies, he found the Killarney bristle fern.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.