Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mainly tropical filmy fern with hair-like bristles protruding from the spore-containing bodies.
- ‘In the darkest areas in several gullies, he found the Killarney bristle fern.’
- ‘Ferns of interest included the bristle fern.’
- ‘Bristle fern demands shaded crevices and grottoes in sandy or acidic rocks.’
- ‘The streak-sorus fern is often associated with, most notably, the Appalachian bristle fern.’
- ‘Bristle fern, Polystichum and Rumohra are some of the genera which have representatives in the South African flora.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.