One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ceremony in which a Jewish baby boy is circumcised.
- ‘There's nothing new about a rabbi fainting at a bris.’
- ‘The bris, or ritual circumcision, takes place eight days after birth.’
- ‘Anyone who has witnessed a bris will know they bawl their heads off.’
- ‘At the time of the party, the reporter was in fact attending a bris.’
- ‘Frankly, those were not the qualities I had previously associated with bris, but then I live in New York.’
Hebrew bĕrīṯ, short for bĕrīṯ milah ‘covenant of circumcision’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.