One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ceremony in which a Jewish baby boy is circumcised.
- ‘Frankly, those were not the qualities I had previously associated with bris, but then I live in New York.’
- ‘There's nothing new about a rabbi fainting at a bris.’
- ‘Anyone who has witnessed a bris will know they bawl their heads off.’
- ‘At the time of the party, the reporter was in fact attending a bris.’
- ‘The bris, or ritual circumcision, takes place eight days after birth.’
Hebrew bĕrīṯ, short for bĕrīṯ milah ‘covenant of circumcision’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.