One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A block of compressed coal dust or peat used as fuel.
- ‘I don't know about you, but I've got a whole bag of charcoal briquets.’
- ‘With a smirk, he ran away before I could chuck a flaming briquette at him.’
- ‘If you wait too long and the coals have cooled, fuel the fire by adding more briquets.’
- ‘When using charcoal you can choose pure charcoal or briquettes soaked in lighter fluid.’
- ‘You'll be able to barbecue without the inconvenience of those messy charcoal briquets.’
- ‘The briquettes do not produce a fire hot enough to draw the combustion products up the chimney.’
- ‘Marie welcomed the darkness, which smelled of scorched charcoal briquettes.’
- ‘Wrap chunks in foil and place directly over ceramic briquettes, or metal heat-diffusing bars.’
- ‘Add 5 more briquets to each mound of coals now and after 30 minutes, if grilling takes longer than that.’
- ‘That way, with tongs I can add white-ash briquettes to the smoker to maintain the temperature.’
- ‘Fill an empty egg carton with a dozen briquettes, one in each department.’
- ‘On the ground, in the center of the cans, put five or six charcoal briquettes and light them.’
- ‘He also said people should know the barrels are legal for use with charcoal briquettes and presto-type logs.’
- ‘Add about 10 briquettes every hour to maintain temperature in the grill.’
- ‘The sun dimmed until it was glowing a comfortable red, like a floating charcoal briquette.’
- ‘Many grills rely on lava rocks or ceramic briquettes.’
- ‘Here, fuel is squirted on the briquettes and match-lit.’
- ‘To us, there would appear to be a big difference between treating sludge and producing a smokeless fuel briquette.’
- ‘After about a minute, carefully light the briquettes with a long barbecue lighter or a fireplace match.’
- ‘The briquette absorbs the moisture which the mildew needs to survive 6.’
Late 19th century: from French, diminutive of brique ‘brick’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.