One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make an audience laugh or applaud very enthusiastically.‘he could bring the house down with his dry humour’
acclaim, hail, salute, praise, congratulate, toast, hurrah, hurray, applaud, clap, shout for, whistleView synonyms
- ‘Nonetheless, the group seems fit for bringing the house down on this late summer night in Seattle.’
- ‘The drum solo was thunderous and brought the house down.’
- ‘Lucy's impromptu solos always brought the house down.’
- ‘Each movement or action on the stage is so funny that they bring the house down.’
- ‘You brought the house down and your testimony was direct and sincere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.