One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Contribute something of value to a discussion, project, etc.‘consultants who can bring strategic thinking to the table’
- ‘David's intelligence should, in theory, complement what Chappell brings to the table.’
- ‘A skilled guitarist and percussionist, he brings compelling songs to the table as well.’
- ‘In the primary process, one of the things that you bring to the table is your foreign policy resume.’
- ‘The question to ask is "what does each side bring to the table?"’
- ‘Collaborations take place precisely because different scientists bring different skills to the table.’
- ‘There just is nothing, I think, that she brings to the table that he's going to need.’
- ‘They have to negotiate, even if they bring more to the table and can demand greater concessions.’
- ‘If all we bring to the table is talk and good will, our conversation will lead nowhere.’
- ‘In selecting one candidate over another, an employer always needs to assess what each "brings to the table."’
- ‘Of course, simply bringing more women to the table will not eliminate all sexism in the news.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.