Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Cause something, typically something unpleasant, to occur.‘ulcers are not brought on by a rich diet’
cause, be the cause of, make happen, bring about, give rise to, begin, create, produce, originate, occasion, effect, engender, spawn, lead to, result in, precipitate, provoke, trigger, trigger off, spark, spark off, touch off, stir up, whip up, induce, fosterView synonyms
- ‘It's this invasion of pollen that brings on serious allergies.’
- ‘Stress also brings on illness.’
- ‘Is there a precipitating event that brings it on?’
- ‘Occasionally the blockage is brought on by spasm of the muscle walls of the coronary arteries.’
- ‘The next step is to visualize this image whenever a situation brings on negative emotions.’
- 1.1bring something on/upon Be responsible for something unpleasant that happens to (oneself or someone else)‘he's brought it upon himself—he's not a victim’
- ‘There's not much indication here that they brought their own doom upon them.’
- ‘Sometimes, he really brought these things upon himself.’
- ‘Are you glad that you brought this terror upon us all?’
- ‘The country has brought its own fate upon itself.’
- ‘Some have said we have brought the current troubles upon ourselves.’
2(of the weather) promote the growth of crops.
- ‘Chocolate bloom develops naturally with time, but it can be brought on prematurely.’
- ‘I would speculate that the cool weather we experienced the last three weeks brought them on.’
- ‘Warm weather has brought on a lot of home-grown crops.’
- ‘The combination of an early spring and warm sunny weather brought on ripening, and harvesting at the end of February.’
- ‘Early spring has brought on crops of wheat and oilseed rape about a month in advance of normal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.