One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Encourage someone to feel more confident.‘she needs friends to bring her out of herself’
- ‘The camaraderie of colleagues has helped in bringing her out of herself.’
- ‘I was 18 years old and shy, but my coworkers brought me out of my shell.’
- ‘Nate was someone he could have confided in and might have brought him out of his shell a bit more.’
- ‘I think I was a very shy kid and it really brought me out of myself.’
- ‘‘Thank you,’ he said encouragingly, hoping this would bring her out of her shell.’
2British Cause someone to go on strike.‘protest aimed at bringing out the miners who were still at work’
- ‘To bring out the workers who did not respond to the initial strike call, the union introduced a new tactic.’
- ‘They spoke to the strikers and called on them to go to the nearby enterprises and bring out the workers there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.