One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Encourage someone to feel more confident.‘she needs friends to bring her out of herself’
- ‘Nate was someone he could have confided in and might have brought him out of his shell a bit more.’
- ‘The camaraderie of colleagues has helped in bringing her out of herself.’
- ‘‘Thank you,’ he said encouragingly, hoping this would bring her out of her shell.’
- ‘I was 18 years old and shy, but my coworkers brought me out of my shell.’
- ‘I think I was a very shy kid and it really brought me out of myself.’
2British Cause someone to go on strike.‘protest aimed at bringing out the miners who were still at work’
- ‘They spoke to the strikers and called on them to go to the nearby enterprises and bring out the workers there.’
- ‘To bring out the workers who did not respond to the initial strike call, the union introduced a new tactic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.